EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT CODEINE 15MG
Codeine 15mg is also found in a variety of combination drugs, some of which can be purchased over-the-counter in pharmacies without a prescription. It’s most commonly seen as a drug called co-codamol, which combines it with the pain reliever paracetamol.
Codeine, similar to morphine and hydrocodone, is a weak narcotic pain reliever and cough reliever. In the body, a tiny amount of codeine is synthesized to morphine. Codeine improves pain tolerance and relieves current discomfort. Codeine 15mg produces sleepiness, tiredness, and respiratory depression in addition to reducing pain.
The gastrointestinal tract is where codeine 15mg is absorbed. 60 minutes after dosing, the plasma concentration reaches its maximum.
- Generic Name: codeine
- Brand Name: Codeine Sulfate
- Drug class: Antitussives, Narcotic analgesics
- Chemically:Morphinan-6-ol,7,8-didehydro-4,5-epoxy-3-methoxy-17-methyl-(5α,6α)-, sulfate (2:1) (salt), trihydrate.
- chemical formula: C18H21NO3
- Molecular weight: 299.36.
- Inactive ingredients are: colloidal silicon dioxide, microcrystalline cellulose, pregelatinized starch, and stearic acid.
USES OF CODEINE 15mg
- It’s used to relieve symptoms of pain that are mild to moderate. It is exceptionally effective when other pain relievers, such as paracetamol and ibuprofen, have not worked.
- Also helpful in relieving dry cough.
- It can also help relieve pain in conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis.
WORKING OF CODEINE
It works by binding to opioid receptors, that are tiny cells in your central nervous system (brain and spinal cord). This causes a reduction in the way you sense pain and how you react to it.
Generally Adult Dose for Pain: Usual recommended initial dose is: 15 to 60 mg orally up to every 4 hours as needed and the maximum dose is 360 mg in 24 hours.
SIDE EFFECTS OF CODEINE SULFATE 15 MG TABLET
Side effects depend upon the different factors and it varies from person to person. The Side effects can be severe or common which occur with this drug are indicated as follows and if these effects are mild, they will vanish in a few days or within a week but if the condition worsen and become serious then talk with your doctor and take medical assistance immediately.
- Changes in mood
- Hallucinations (seeing, feeling, or hearing things that are not there)
- Feeling sick (nausea)
- Dry mouth
- Abdominal pain
- Low body temperature
- Blurred or double vision
- Low blood pressure
- Slow or fast heartbeat
PRECAUTION AND WARNINGS
- Follow your doctor’s instructions when taking Codeine Sulfate 15mg Tablet. Never take more or less than the recommended dose or frequency.
- It makes you sleepy or drowsy. If this occurs, do not drive or use machinery.
- When using the Codeine Sulfate 15mg Tablet, avoid drinking alcohol because it may produce excessive tiredness or drowsiness.
- If you’ve ever been diagnosed with kidney or liver disease, tell your doctor.
- Even at recommended levels, prolonged use of this medicine can lead to drug dependence in some individuals. Individuals with a past history of substance abuse disorder (including alcohol abuse) or a mental health disorder are at higher risk.
- When prescribing for individuals who are at risk of becoming addicted to opioids, further support and monitoring may be required.
- Concomitant medications, including over-the-counter and online prescriptions, as well as past and present medical and psychological disorders, should be documented in a thorough patient history.
- Patients may observe that medication is less effective after prolonged use and express a desire to raise the dose in order to get the same level of pain management as before.
- Patients may also take additional pain medicines to boost their treatment. These symptoms could indicate that the patient is gaining tolerance. The patient should be informed about the dangers of acquiring tolerance.
- Overuse or misuse can lead to mortality and/or overdose. It is critical that patients only take medications that have been prescribed for them at the doses specified, and that they do not provide this medication to anyone else.
- Signs of usage, abuse, or addiction should be continuously observed in patients.
- The requirement for analgesic medication should be evaluated on a frequent basis.
- Before commencing any opioid treatment, patients should have a discussion about how to stop taking codeine 15mg and develop a withdrawal strategy.
- When a drug is abruptly stopped or reduced in dose, a drug withdrawal syndrome can ensue. When a patient no longer requires medication, tapering the dose gradually to avoid withdrawal symptoms. It could take weeks or months to go off a high dose.
- Restlessness, lacrimation, rhinorrhoea, yawning, perspiration, chills, myalgia, mydriasis, and palpitations are only a few of the symptoms of opioid drug withdrawal. Irritability, agitation, anxiety, hyperkinesia, tremor, weakness, sleeplessness, anorexia, abdominal pains, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, elevated blood pressure, increased respiratory rate, or increased heart rate are all possible symptoms.
- There’s a chance that if mothers take this medicine while pregnant, their newborns will develop neonatal withdrawal syndrome.